CINCINNATI, OH – September 20, 2018 — Sunset Players, a Westside community theater group that performs at the Arts Center at Dunham, opens its 39th season with a little SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY from September 28 through October 13.
Written by Jessica Jones, Nicholas Hope and Jamie Wooten and directed by Don Frimming, the comedy SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY features the Futrelle sisters who are in a heap of trouble. Their beloved hometown of Fayro, Texas, is in danger of disappearing, and it’s up to the sisters to save it from extinction by luring a salsa manufacturing factory to town. To seal the deal, Honey Raye, who leads the Chamber of Commerce, makes promises to woo the salsa company rep to choose Fayro. So now it’s up to her sisters and the citizens of Fayro to pull together, turn her promises into reality and save their town using their Southern strength and ingenuity, which is a recipe for total hilarity.
The cast includes:
- Elaine Michael as Geneva Musgrave
- Jeri Nakamura as Rhonda Lynn Futrelle
- Denise Schnieders as Honey Raye Futrelle
- Becky Cole as Twink Futrelle
- Erin Marie Schwartz as Frankie Futrelle Dubberly
- Jim Swartwout as Dub Dubberly
- Tim Carney as John Curtis Buntner
- Nick Dunker as Raynerd Chisum
- Karson McCall as Gina Jo Waverly
- Nick Young as Justin Waverly
- Cathy Woodruff as Iney Dubberly
- Wyn Jones as Ms. Dayva Davidson
- Paul Brockman as Buck Strickland
Performances are September 28, 29 and October 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 and 13. All shows are at 8PM, except Thursday at 7:30 PM and Sunday at 3 PM. Cincinnati State’s Interpreter Training Program will provide sign language interpreting for the deaf community on Saturday, October 6.
Tickets are $15 general admission or $13 for seniors, students or groups of 10 or more and can be purchased online at the Sunset Players website (www.sunsetplayers.org) or at the door. Tickets can also be reserved by calling 513-588-4988.
Sunset Players keeps the laughs flowing throughout its 39th season with three more productions:
- Our annual children’s show is The Trial of the Big Bad Wolf by Joseph Robinette, directed by Bob Kelley and produced by special arrangement with The Dramatic Publishing Company of Woodstock, Illinois. Was the Wolf a villain or victim? Were the Three Pigs innocent or at fault? The nursery and fairytale character jurors and Judge Wise O. Al will decide in this fun-filled, action-packed trial-of-the-century. This delightful comedy and its intriguing story line and vivid characterizations will appeal to audiences and performers of all ages. Performances are November 30, and December 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9. Friday night performances are at 7:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday matinees at 2:00 pm.
- The winter production will be a compilation of one act plays for You Caught Us in Our Shorts…For the 6th time. This production of short one act plays will leave you in stitches and smiles. Performances are March 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15 and 16.
- The season wraps up with Ken Ludwig’s Sherwood: The Adventures of Robin Hood, directed by Dennis Murphy and produced by special arrangements from Samuel French. A greedy prince has taken control of England, and it is up to the dashing outlaw Robin Hood to save the day. Join up and take aim with Robin and his band of Merry Men—and women— as they champion the underdog and fight for justice. Laughs, romance and plenty of arrows fly in this all-out comic adventure. Performances are May 3, 4, 10, 11,12, 16, 17 and 18.
Sunset Players, Inc. is a community theater group located on the west side of Cincinnati. Founded in 1979, the group performs at the Arts Center at Dunham and has produced more than 140 plays. Its mission is to bring a smile, and its plays include comedies, farces, dramatic comedies and musical comedies—as long as there is some “comedy” in the performance somewhere. For more information about the 39th season, visit our website at www.sunsetplayers.org or like us on Facebook.