Attention playwrights! Northern Kentucky University School of the Arts is once again calling for submissions for its award-winning, 19th Biennial Year End Series Festival of New Plays – THE Y.E.S. FESTIVAL, running April 4–14, 2019. The submission deadline is September 30, 2018. The selected playwrights will each receive a cash prize of $400 and an expense-paid (travel and accommodations) visit to NKU to see their plays in production. Selected plays will receive a full production.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
- Full-length plays are eligible. All rights must be fully owned by the author.
- No children’s theatre, one-acts, or reader’s theatre pieces will be considered.
- Adaptations will be considered only if the adapted work is in the public domain.
- A submitted play may not have had a previous professional or university production.
- In deciding which play to submit, a writer should know the festival will be cast with undergraduate student actors. Plays with larger casts are looked upon favorably in the selection process.
- Scripts must be standard sized, legibly typed, and bound. Standard Dramatists Guild format is preferred.
- Submissions (ONE per playwright) should include a one-page synopsis and a cast list with brief character descriptions.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- An entry form must accompany a submitted script (visit nku.edu/theatre for downloadable form or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard if you wish the project director to acknowledge receipt of your script.
- Scripts are not returnable unless specifically requested and accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope. Returnable scripts will be mailed back after the selected playwrights have been notified.
Submissions, accompanied by an entry form, should be mailed to:
NKU School of the Arts
Nunn Drive, FA 205
Highland Heights, KY 41099
- Selected playwrights will be notified no later than December 31, 2018.
- Selected playwrights must be available to visit the festival about one week before opening so their visit can be arranged to include late rehearsals and the premiere of their play. Festival dates are April 4–14, 2019. The visiting dates are at the discretion of the festival. The cost of travel and accommodations will be covered by NKU. Selected playwrights will receive a cash prize of $400.
- Playwrights and directors of their plays will participate in one post-show question-and-answer session with the audience.
### NKU ###