Auditions for ANGEL STREET by Patrick Hamilton will be held January 19 (Friday) at 7pm and January 20 (Saturday) at 1pm at the Arts Center at Dunham 1945 Dunham Way, Cincinnati, OH 45238. Angel Street is sure to be the nail biter of this year’s theatre season and will be directed by Ivory Mazur with Tatiana Godfrey as assistant director, produced by Jerry Yearout and stage managed by Lori Bowling.
A Broadway hit first produced on the West End under the title Gaslight, filmed twice, and said to be some of the most suspenseful works in theatre ever written, ANGEL STREET tells the story of the Manninghams who live on Angel Street in 19th century London. All appears the essence of Victorian tranquility, but it is soon apparent that the suavely handsome Mr. Manningham is slowly driving his gentle, devoted wife Bella to the brink of insanity with an insinuating kindness that masks sinister motives. While he is out, Mrs. Manningham has an unexpected caller: Inspector Rough from Scotland Yard who is convinced her husband is a homicidal maniac who committed murder 15 years ago in the same house.
Performance dates are May 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18 and 19, 2018. All shows are at 8PM, except Thursday at 7:30 PM and Sunday at 3 PM.
The cast consists of the following three female and three male roles: (Note: some roles were previously cast during auditions last year):
- Jack Manningham: tall and good-looking, about 45. He sports a moustache and is bearded and perhaps a little too well dressed. His manner is suave and authoritative, with a touch of mystery and bitterness.
- Bella Manningham: about 34. She has been good-looking, almost a beauty – but now she has a haggard, wan, frightened air, with rings under her eyes, which tell of sleepless nights and worse. LOTS OF STAGE TIME!
- Inspector Rough: middle-aged – greying, short, wiry, active, brusque, friendly, overbearing. He has a low, warm chuckle and completely dominates the scene from the beginning.
- Policeman/Muffin Man: any age, but should be younger than Rough. Only has a brief appearance at the beginning and at the end of the play. Great part for beginners or those with tight schedules.
These roles were cast at previously scheduled auditions:
- Elizabeth: a stout, amiable, subservient woman that’s older than MRS. MANNINGHAM.
- Nancy: a self-conscious, pretty, cheeky girl of about 19-24ish.
For ANGEL STREET, an English dialect is not required at the time of the auditions, but the correct regional dialect for your character will be taught during the rehearsal process and be required during performances.
Rehearsals for ANGEL STREET will begin in March. Typically, rehearsals run Monday through Thursday from 7:00 – 9:30pm and Sundays from 1:00-3:00 pm. Rehearsal schedule is dependent on actor availability and, depending on the part, you may not be called every night. With the exception to tech week (April 29 – May 3), where all company members must be present.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
Questions regarding the auditions, please contact: Ivory Mazur at firstname.lastname@example.org.