The Village Players invites you to audition for RING ROUND THE MOON by Jean Anouilh (adapted by Christopher Fry). The French title can be translated as Invitation to the Chateau. The original London production featured Paul Scofield as the twins, Margaret Rutherford as Madame Desmermortes, and Claire Bloom as Isabelle. It was directed by Peter Brook.
Story: A number of guests arrive for a party at a country chateau. Their intertwining relationships create a mix of emotions, with comic results. A play “of many moods…wistfully romantic, satirical, fantastic…To make his points about love (the author) has invented a fable about twin brothers—Frederic, who is shy and sensitive, and Hugo, who is heartless and aggressive. Frederic is in love with a hussy who is in love with Hugo. To save Frederic from an unhappy marriage, Hugo tries to distract him by bringing to a ball a beautiful dancer who masquerades as a mysterious personage and becomes the triumph of the occasion. She is a susceptible maiden in her own right. She not only breaks up all the cynical romances that have been going on before she arrived, but loses her own heart as well.”
- Hugo, a young man about town; brash and sure of himself (late 20’s) AND Frederic, his twin brother; somewhat shy. (Hugo and Frederic are played by the same actor.)
- Joshua, a crumbling butler: think of an old Jeeves (can play 60’s, 70’s)
- Diana Messerschmann, engaged to Frederic (late 20’s)
- Lady India, Messerschmann’s mistress, secretly in love with Hugo (late 20’s)
- Patrice Bombelles, Messchermann’s secretive secretary (20’s to 30’s)
- Madame Desmermortes, aunt to Hugo, Frederic, and Lady India; a very dominating personality (can play 70’s)
- Capulet, her faded companion (60’s)
- Messerschmann, Diana’s father, a melancholy millionaire (60’s)
- Romainville, a patron of the arts (40’s) and of
- Isabelle, a ballet dancer (20’s)
- Isabelle’s Mother, a piano teacher (50’s)
- Sunday, October 8th: 2:00-5:00
- Monday, October 9th: 6:30-9:00
Everyone will be asked to read from the script.
Please bring a resume, a photo, and a list of conflicts between 12/10/17 and the first week of February.
Performances are Friday through Sunday (2/9/-2/11/18) and Thursday through Saturday 2/15-2/17/18.
Auditions will be held at: The Village Players of Fort Thomas, 8 N Ft. Thomas Ave., Fort Thomas, KY 41075
For more information, please contact director Allan Karol at email@example.com