Sunset Players announces auditions for MOON OVER BUFFALO by Ken Ludwig and directed by Allen Lindsey.
Auditions are: Sunday, August 6 and Monday, August 7, 7-9pm at The Art Center at Dunham at 1945 Dunham Way, Cincinnati, OH 45238.
The hilarious MOON OVER BUFFALO centers on fading 1950s stars George and Charlotte Hay who learn they might have one last shot at stardom: Frank Capra is coming to see their matinee show and might cast them in his next movie. Unfortunately, everything goes wrong with a visit from their daughter’s clueless fiancé and hysterical uncertainty about which play they’re performing caused by Charlotte’s old stage-manager mother who hates George.
The cast consists of the following four female and four male roles:
- George Hay – (Male, 50s) is very dramatic, a slapstick type, over-the-top actor. Must be able to do strong physical comedy, including pratfalls, running, stage combat (fencing), etc.
- Charlotte Hay – (Female, 50s) helps run the acting troupe and plays all the leads even those for which she is a bit too old. Must be able to do an upper-class British accent.
- Ethel – (Female, 70s) is Charlotte’s mother. Grumpy, trouble-maker, hard of hearing, leading to comic misunderstandings. Should have huge stage presence and strong comedic skills.
- Rosalind “Roz” Hay – (Female, 20-30 years old) is George and Charlotte’s daughter, used to be an actress and a member of their acting troupe, but decided she wanted a real career, so she left – determined never to act again – or be like her parents. Must be able to do an upper-class British accent.
- Eileen – (early 20s) is an aspiring actress, eager to please. She has a crush on George and has been having a fling with him.
- Howard – (late 20s-early 30s) – is a weatherman and Rosalind’s fiancé. He comes across as a wimp, a little annoying, nervous and very excitable. Must be able to do strong physical comedy.
- Paul – (late 20s-early 30s) is a member of the acting troupe, who used to be with Rosalind and still loves her and wants her back. But he is an actor first and foremost, so he wouldn’t leave the troupe to be with her. Must be able to do strong physical comedy.
- Richard – (50s) is George and Charlotte’s attorney, but he is in love with Charlotte – always trying to get her to leave George. He is wealthy and used to getting what he wants, and he is both amused and perplexed by the Hay family.
Auditions will involve cold readings from the script. Performance dates are September 22, 23, 29, 30, October 1, 5, 6 and 7. All shows are at 8PM, except Thursday at 7:30 PM and Sunday at 3 PM.
If you have any questions regarding the auditions, please contact: Allen Lindsey at email@example.com.
Sunset Players, Inc. is a community theater group located on the west side of Cincinnati. Founded in 1979, the group performs at the Arts Center at Dunham and has produced more than 120 plays. Its mission is to bring a smile, and its plays include comedies, farces, dramatic comedies and musical comedies—as long as there is some “comedy” in the performance somewhere.