When: March 6th and 7th at 7pm, callbacks on March 8th
Where: Playhouse South, 3750 Far Hills Avenue, Kettering, Ohio
Please prepare 32 bars of 60’s style lounge music (preferred), or 60’s style musical theatre music or big band with sheet music or a CD. Absolutely no rock music. Come prepared with appropriate shoes and clothing to dance at auditions. Please note if you have tap experience, you will be asked to do a tap audition. (No singing will be necessary for tap ensemble auditions!) Time will be given to change before the dance portion. There will also be cold readings from the script. Also please be sure to bring all conflicts from March 6th through May 14th. First read through will be Monday, March 13th.
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN is a high-flying musical comedy about chasing your dreams and not getting caught. Based on the hit film and the incredible true story, this splashy spectacle follows the adventures of a globetrotting con artist named Frank Abagnale, Jr.
Seeking fame and fortune, precocious teenager, Frank Abignale, Jr., runs away from home to begin an unforgettable adventure. With nothing more than his boyish charm, a big imagination and millions of dollars in forged checks, Frank successfully poses as a pilot, a doctor and a lawyer – living the high life and winning the girl of his dreams. When Frank’s lies catch the attention of FBI agent, Carl Hanratty, though, Carl pursues Frank across the country to make him pay for his crimes.
Playhouse South’s production is directed by Donna Cason, with Assistant Director Nicole Sword, Musical Direction by Elliot Hetzer and Kristen Beireis, and Choreography by Annette Looper.
Available roles include (in alphabetical order):
- Brenda Strong (18-22, Alto G3-A5) – A young nurse and Frank Jr.’s eventual love interest. Hard-working and initially insecure, she meets Frank Jr. after running away from a wedding. Comes to trust him but his true identity clouds her feelings. (Actress will also double for Ensemble roles.)
- Carl Hanratty (30-55, Tenor G2-G4) – An FBI agent leading the investigation and search for Frank Jr. A knowledgeable and habitual workaholic who idolizes the moment he catches his perp. Lives a private life of loneliness and depression.
- Carol Strong (40-50, Soprano Bb3-A5) – Brenda’s traditional mother. She is talkative and boisterous. (Actress will also double for Ensemble roles.)
- Frank Abagnale Jr. (18-22, Tenor G2-C5) – Our story’s conniving protagonist, he is a handsome and youthful con artist. Grew up learning to disappear into another skin to avoid his problems. He eventually falls in love with Brenda and desperately tries to change his ways.
- Frank Abagnale, Sr. (40-50, Baritone F2-G#4) – Frank Jr.’s father. He is an inspiration when it comes to swindling. Upbeat and fast-talking, he undergoes a series of progressive failures that leaves him a miserable drunk.
- Paula Abagnale (30-50, Alto A3-C5) – Frank Jr.’s gorgeous mother. She met Frank Sr. in France, during the war, but has fallen out of love. Caring and loving, with an underlying resentment toward her husband and son. (Actress will also double for Ensemble roles.)
- Roger Strong (40-50, Tenor A2-A4) – Brenda’s conservative father. He is stern and interrogatory, but reveals himself to be deeply romantic. (Actor will also double for Ensemble roles.)
- Ensemble – Will play a variety of roles including Agents (Todd Branton, Johnny Dollar, Bill Cod), Stewardesses (Mindy, Cindy, Lindy, Jane, Kellie, Shellie), Pilots, Commuters, Assistants, Targets, Party-Goers, Doctors, Nurses, and Interns.
Please note: Ages are suggested – not set in stone.
Show dates will be May 5, 6, 12, and 13 at 8pm and May 7 and 14 at 2pm at Playhouse South, 3750 Far Hills Avenue, Kettering, Ohio. Contact Donna Cason with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org