MUSE, Cincinnati’s Women’s Choir, is seeking a managing director. The position oversees all administrative and production aspects of the organization’s operations and also leads the organization’s audience development and fundraising activities (dependent upon previous experience). The Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors and collaborates closely with the Artistic Director.
MUSE, Cincinnati’s Women’s Choir, is a 75 member auditioned choir in the culturally rich city of Cincinnati, Ohio. Founded in 1983 by Dr. Catherine Roma and currently led by Artistic Director Rhonda Juliano, MUSE is one of the most highly regarded women’s choirs in the nation. MUSE has built a feminist, collaborative culture and developed forms of democratic decision-making. MUSE is committed to increasing the repertoire of choral music for a wide range of women’s voices and seeks to continue the choir’s growth as a diverse musical organization supporting peace and justice issues. For more information, please see www.musechoir.org.
Responsibilities: The Managing Director’s job responsibilities include:
- Ensure that detailed objectives in the following general areas are established, implemented (within budget) and evaluated: fundraising and development, marketing, audience development, and merchandising
- Recruit and facilitate the work of volunteers in assisting in overall operations
- Oversee and coordinate all administrative aspects of the organization’s operations and productions
- Oversee creation and management of a donor relations strategy
- Assist in creating and adhering to a budget; track all expenses in adherence with approved budget
- Serve as the choir’s direct liaison for external affairs
Hours: Part-Time. Hours are flexible; evening and weekend work required, including but not limited to attendance at rehearsals on Monday evenings, committee and board meetings, concerts, etc; some time required during normal business hours.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience with development and fundraising in a non-profit or arts organization
- Marketing and communications experience, especially related to audience development
- Superior writing, organization and communication skills
- Strong computer skills required. MS Word and Excel required; experience with QuickBooks, Access and database platforms a plus
- Sound interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively in group decision making settings
- Must be flexible, possess a strong work ethic, show initiative, and have the ability to work independently and manage time efficiently
Application Information: Applications accepted through September 5th, 2014 (postmark deadline). Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Complete curriculum vitae
- Names of three references (name with full title, email address, phone number)
Applications may be returned digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
MUSE, Cincinnati’s Women’s Choir
PO Box 23292
Cincinnati, OH 45223
Candidates for Managing Director must be committed to the MUSE Philosophy: MUSE is a women’s choir dedicated to musical excellence and social change. In keeping with our belief that diversity is strength, we are feminist women of varied ages, races and ethnicities with a range of musical abilities, political interests and life experiences. We are women loving women; we are heterosexual, lesbian and bisexual women united in song. We commission and seek out music composed by women, pieces written to enhance the sound of women’s voices and songs that honor the enduring spirit of all peoples. In performing, we strive for a concert experience that entertains, inspires, motivates, heals and creates a feeling of community with our audience.