Category Archives: Press Releases

Xavier University Theatre Presents JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, Oct. 11-20

(CINCINNATI, Oct. 1, 2024) – Xavier University Theatre begins its 2024-25 season with the hit musical Jesus Christ Superstar. The musical will run Oct. 11-20.

What’s the buzz? Jesus Christ Superstar has wowed audiences for over 50 years. Set against the backdrop of an extraordinary and universally known series of events but seen, unusually, through the eyes of Judas Iscariot, Jesus Christ Superstar follows the last week of Jesus Christ’s life. Loosely based on the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Jesus Christ Superstar features music and lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.

“I’m very excited to be presenting Jesus Christ Superstar,” said Stephen Skiles, director of Xavier’s theatre program and director of the show. “Not only is it an important and timely story, but it offers another opportunity to share with our audiences the incredible talents of our students, both on and off stage. I cannot wait for everyone to see them in action.”

Senior Matthew Callas (he/him), who plays Jesus, says the show highlights the humanity within every character. “The show reminds us that no matter anybody’s circumstances, we are all human. Meaning we are selfish, fearful, jealous and entitled; we lash out, we cry, we cower, but we also have a tremendous capacity for love. The show explores how human nature affects people in positions of power and, more importantly, the people around them,” he said.

Sophomore Jamie Swisshelm (they/them), who plays Judas Iscariot, notes the explorative nature of the show. They say, “Jesus Christ Superstar is such an interesting take on the last few days of Jesus’ life because it reminds us that he is a man. This musical also showcases the immense struggle Judas has between answering God’s call and protecting Jesus, his friend. The emphasis on interpersonal relationships throughout this show is unique and powerful storytelling.”

The cast includes seniors Callas (Jesus), Mattie Cieplak (Mary Magdalene), Owen Clark (Annas), Tierra London Rush (Caiaphas) and Maria Zierolf (Pilate); juniors Ben Hunt (Peter) and Leo Jenkins (Simon); and sophomores Josi Pietryzk (King Herod) and Swisshelm (Judas Iscariot).

The show is directed and produced by Stephen Skiles. Music direction is by Scot Buzza and choreography is by alumna Jenna Treinen (’23). The design team includes Joe Beumer (set and lighting designer), Joe Leonard (technical director), Jessica Pitcairn (costume designer) and Jason Sebastian (sound designer). The assistant directors are alumni Aiden Dalton (’19), Emma Hunt (’23) and Kelsey Schwarber (’21). The stage manager is senior Reece Niederhausen, and the assistant stage managers are sophomore Corinne Tiernan and first-year Boston Slack.

Performances take place at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 11, 12, 18 and 19 and 2:00 p.m. Oct. 19 and 20. Tickets are available now. They are $20 each for adults and $15 each for Xavier students, faculty and staff. To purchase tickets, visit https://xaviertheatre.ludus.com/index.php?show_id=200459347.

###

Leave a comment

Filed under Press Releases

Sinclair College Presents Broadway-Bound Musical, ALICE BY HEART

Photo Credit: Scottie Jackson.

Dayton, OH — September 24, 2024 — Sinclair Theatre is thrilled to announce the regional debut of Alice by Heart, a captivating new musical from the Tony and Grammy award-winning creators Steven Sater and Duncan Sheik, and Jessie Nelson. This groundbreaking production will run in Blair Hall from October 11-19, 2024, with performances at 7 p.m. (Oct. 11, 12, 15, 17, 18,19) and one Sunday matinee, Oct. 13, at 2 p.m.  ASL-interpreted performances are October 13 and 17.

Set against the backdrop of the London Blitz during World War II, Alice by Heart tells the poignant story of Alice Spencer, whose teenage life is turned upside down when she and her dear friend Alfred are forced to take shelter in an underground tube station. As they navigate the chaos of war, Alice encourages Alfred, who is ailing and quarantined, to escape into their cherished book and embark on an imaginative journey down the rabbit hole to Wonderland.

Inspired by Lewis Carroll’s novel, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, this show is directed by Kimberly Borst. The score is overseen by musical co-directors Lorri Topping and Bryon Dobbs. Jennifer Sydor provides dance choreography; Gary Minyard provides fight choreography; and Dr. Ariadne Calvana serves as the Intimacy Director. This production contains adult themes and mature subject matter; it is not intended for children 13 and under.

“Taking on a project this complex and this new is always a risk as there isn’t a history of past productions to inspire a cast of student actors,” says director, Kimberly Borst. “But this cast has embraced all the unknowns and created a wonderful, imaginative, intriguing, and beautiful cast of characters that will inspire, frighten, and, at times, repulse the audience.  Every day I am inspired by their courage and energy as I watch them tackle very difficult music and choreography and make the famous Alice in Wonderland characters their own.  ‘By Heart’ is appropriately in the title because these actors really have given their whole heart to this production, and THEY are the heart of this production. I can’t imagine a more dedicated cast to tell this story and one that I am honored to work with.”

The cast consists of Amelie de la Nuez, Dominick Griffin, Fae Bass, Edward Folkerth, Courtney Collinsworth, Valentine Rangel, Joy Wood, Emma Smith, Henry Ballard, Jorge Melo, Feather Norman, and Kailie Gould. The production staff includes Sinclair Theatre alums Sarah Caplan as stage manager and Jessy Henning as lighting designer. Sound design by Dan Brunk and costume design by Maria Fernanda Ortiz Lopez.

Where: Sinclair Community College, Blair Hall Theatre (Building 2), 444 W. Third St., Dayton
Ticket Information:  Adults: $20 Students/Seniors $15 plus $2 service fee. No at-the-door ticket sales. All tickets must be purchased online at: www.sinclair.edu/tickets.

This production contains adult themes and mature subject matter; it is not intended for children 13 and under. 

Leave a comment

Filed under Press Releases

Cincinnati Opera Announces Revised Timeline for THE BLACK OPERA PROJECT

Shifting Later by One Year

CINCINNATI (Sept. 30, 2024)—Cincinnati Opera today announced that it has revised the timeline for The Black Opera Project, the company’s groundbreaking, three-opera commissioning initiative that engages Black creators to develop new operas celebrating Black stories.

As previously announced, The Black Opera Project seeks to illuminate the resilient spirit and vibrant heritage of the Black American experience. The project is the outgrowth of a grant from the Mellon Foundation to support Cincinnati Opera’s development of three new operas by Black creators focused on uplifting stories about the Black community.

Also as previously announced, the first work in The Black Opera Project, Lalovavi, an Afrofuturist grand opera with music by Kevin Day, libretto by Tifara Brown, and stage direction and dramaturgy by Kimille Howard, was initially set to premiere on Juneteenth 2025; Lalovavi will now open during Cincinnati Opera’s 2026 Summer Festival. The second opera—Good Trouble: The Boy from Troy, inspired by the life of U.S. Congressman John Lewis with music by Maria Thompson Corley, libretto by Diana Solomon Glover, and stage direction and dramaturgy by Timothy Douglas—will premiere as part of the company’s 2027 summer season. The third, as-yet-unnamed work will be presented during the summer of 2028.

“Artistic ventures of any kind take time, but creating a new opera is a particularly complex and intricate endeavor,” said Evans Mirageas, The Harry T. Wilks Artistic Director of Cincinnati Opera. “We’re committed to providing each of these important new stories the creative space and resources to achieve their creators’ respective visions. This adjustment will allow additional time for each opera’s development and refinement.”

The company will announce its 2025 Summer Festival in October 2024. On-sale dates for LalovaviGood Trouble: The Boy from Troy, and the third work in The Black Opera Project will be announced at a later date. For more information, visit cincinnatiopera.org.

About Cincinnati Opera
Cincinnati Opera’s mission is to enrich and connect our community through diverse opera experiences. Founded in 1920 and the second-oldest opera company in the nation, Cincinnati Opera presents a thrilling season of grand opera every summer and engaging programs throughout the year. The company’s repertoire includes beloved classics and contemporary masterworks brought to life by some of the world’s most dynamic performers and creative artists.

Cincinnati Opera is supported by the generosity of tens of thousands of contributors to the ArtsWave Community Campaign. Lead funder of Lalovavi is the David C. Herriman Fund of Greater Cincinnati Foundation. Additional funding for The Black Opera Project has been provided by the Mellon Foundation. Cincinnati Opera receives funding from the Ohio Arts Council, which receives support from the State of Ohio and the National Endowment for the Arts. Cincinnati Opera also receives general season support from The Louise Dieterle Nippert Musical Arts Fund, Patricia A. Corbett Estate and Trust, and the Harry T. Wilks Family Foundation, along with general season and project support from many other generous individuals, corporations, and foundations. Cincinnati Opera is a member of OPERA America. Learn more at cincinnatiopera.org.

# # #

Leave a comment

Filed under Press Releases

Local Favorite Paul Strickland To Emcee THE NATIONAL STORYTELLING FESTIVAL

Oct. 4-6, 2024

(Covington, KY) Cincinnati’s favorite storyteller, Paul Strickland, has been invited to serve as Master of Ceremonies at the prestigious National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee, next week. The popular three-day event is the largest and oldest storytelling festival in America and draws thousands of visitors from all over the globe.

Last year was Paul’s debut as a featured teller at the National Storytelling Festival. It is a big honor to be asked to return as an MC the following year. In 2023, Paul performed for audiences of up to two thousand people at a time, and drew standing-room only crowds to his tale-telling tents. It is experiences like this that inspired Paul to found a storytelling festival right here in Cincinnati, and the thriving fourth-year Cincinnati Storytelling Festival will be held this November in the center of Westwood.

ABOUT THE NATIONAL STORYTELLING FESTIVAL
Every October since 1973, thousands of travelers have visited Tennessee’s oldest town. They come for one purpose–to hear stories and to tell them at the National Storytelling Festival. This celebration of America’s rich and varied storytelling tradition, the oldest and most respected gathering anywhere in America devoted to storytelling, has in turn spawned a national revival of this venerable art.
https://www.storytellingcenter.net/festival/main/

ABOUT PAUL STRICKLAND
Cincinnati audiences know and love Paul Strickland for his award-winning performances at the Cincinnati Fringe Festival, including Ain’t True & Uncle False (2013 All-Access Pick-of-the-Fringe Award winner) and Balls of Yarns (2017 Critics’ Pick-of-the-Fringe Award winner).

Paul is also one of the co-founders of the Cincinnati Storytelling Festival which has brought nationally-recognized storytellers including Bil Lepp, Sheila Arnold, Adam Booth, Megan Hicks and Antonio Rocha to Cincinnati audiences. The Cincinnati Storytelling Festival will be returning for a fourth year in the Westwood neighborhood of Cincinnati this November 14-16, featuring national storytellers Lyn Ford and Andy Offutt Irwin. https://www.cincystoryfest.com/

Leave a comment

Filed under Press Releases

Kate Hamill’s MS. HOLMES & MS. WATSON – APT. 2B Kicks Off Autumn at the Human Race Theatre Company

Step aside, Robert Downey, Jr.! Move over, Benedict Cumberbatch!  Make way for Kate Hamill’s feminist shakeup of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s notable sleuths.

This spin through the orbit of the world’s most famous detective introduces us to female roommates Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson. They’ve emerged from the pandemic fog as a deeply codependent and quasi-dysfunctional duo – solving mysteries, eating snacks and shaking off their pasts. But when they come face to face with a villain who seems to have all the answers? Hamill’s playful and theatrical style will deliver an unforgettable adventure chock full of heroism, friendship and, of course, the art of deduction.

“Bring your bestie, grab a snack and drink in the lobby, and settle in for an entertaining night,” notes Emily N. Wells, Artistic Director. “The twists and turns of this irreverent game keep you guessing to the very end.”

Guest Director Heather Wilson-Bowlby guides the powerhouse cast, featuring Shonita Joshi as Ms. Sherlock Holmes (Shipwrecked: An Entertainment!), Maggie Lou Rader as Ms. Joan Watson (Grounded, The Revolutionists), Kelly Mengelkoch as Mrs. Hudson and others (This is Tom Jones!, Deadline), and Matthew Sierra as Inspector Lestrade and others in his Human Race debut.

Joining Wilson-Bowlby on the production team are: Jeff Heater, Scenic Design; Diane D. Fairchild, Lighting Design; Janet G. Powell, Costume Design; emily c. porter, Sound Design; Lucia Thill, Associate Sound Design; Sarah Gomes, Props; Mark Tynan, Production Stage Manager; Danitza Piper, Assistant Stage Manager; Gina Cerimele-Mechley, Fight Director.

Ms. Holmes & Ms. Watson – Apt. 2B  will play in the Loft Theatre in downtown Dayton, October 9 – 20, 2024.  Tickets are on sale through the Dayton Live box office, 937-228-3630, or online at www.humanracetheatre.org   For press ticket requests, please contact Tiffany Countryman, Engagement and Learning Coordinator at tiffany@humanracetheatre.org

The Human Race Theatre Company continues its commitment to high quality theatre with access points for all with two special ticket initiatives: two sections of $20 seats available at any time through the box office, and ten $10 rush seats available 90 minutes before any performance.

Special Nights at The Loft: 

  • Pay What You CAN                  Tuesday, Oct 8, 7:30 pm – admission by non-perishable food donation for The Foodbank OR a cash donation to benefit The League of Women Voters
  • Inside Track                             Thursday, October 10, 7:30pm – Pre-show Discussion at 6:45pm
  • Post Show Discussion              Sunday, October 13, 2pm – Special Guest & Cast
  • Industry Night/ Sawbuck         Sunday, October 13, 7:30 pm – $10 tickets available at 6:00 pm
  • While We’re On The Subject Sunday, October 20, 2 pm – Post-Show Discussion with the Cast
  • Parent’s Day Out                     Sunday, October 20, 2 pm – Kids Separate Activities (5-12yo)

The Human Race expresses gratitude for the public and private support which makes these productions possible:  Loft Season Sponsor: Jack W. and Sally D. Eichelberger Foundation. Sustainability sponsors:  Anne F. Johnson, Steve and Lou Mason, The Toulmin Fund at The Dayton Foundation, and Morris Furniture Company.  Additional Season support:  Emma R. Catterton Trust, Funds at The Dayton Foundation, Virginia F. Kettering Foundation, The Shubert Foundation, Sam Levin Foundation.  Production Support: Beth and Alan Schaeffer; Blood Sponsor: An Anonymous Blood Donor.  Organizational support:  Culture Works, Montgomery County, Ohio Arts Council. Media Sponsor: WDPR Discover Classical. Pay What You Can Sponsor: Enterprise Holdings Foundation. Parent’s Day Out: Rabbit Hole Books/Dayton Book Fair.  Capital Support: The Scheiwetz Foundation, The Dayton Foundation, The Toulmin Fund at the The Dayton Foundation.

###

Leave a comment

Filed under Press Releases