Mariemont Players, Inc. is pleased to announce auditions for our November production, THE BOOK OF WILL by Lauren Gunderson, directed by jef brown.
- Monday, June 26 at 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 27 at 7:00 p.m.
Performance Dates: November 2 – 19, 2023
Please sign up for a time slot here:
Location: Mariemont Players, 4101 Walton Creek Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
- Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
- Resumes are appreciated.
- Please bring all known conflicts between September 11 – November 19.
The production team encourages actors of all races, ethnicities, identities, abilities, experience levels, etc. to audition – all are welcome!
Please contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or accommodation needs.
Synopsis: Without William Shakespeare, we wouldn’t have literary masterpieces like Romeo and Juliet. But without Henry Condell and John Heminges, we would have lost half of Shakespeare’s plays forever! After the death of their friend and mentor, the two actors are determined to compile the First Folio and preserve the words that shaped their lives. They’ll just have to borrow, beg, and band together to get it done. Amidst the noise and color of Elizabethan London, The Book of Will finds an unforgettable true story of love, loss, and laughter, and sheds new light on a man you may think you know.
Note: ages listed are stage ages; some roles may be doubled.
- Henry Condell: 40; Feisty and hopeful, Shakespeare’s friend, and actor in the King’s Men.
- John Heminges: 50; Reasonable and serious, Shakespeare’s friend, and financial manager of the King’s Men. He is a good man, a gentleman, and owner of the Globe Tap House.
- Richard Burbage: 50s; A seasoned lion of the stage, loud and proud, and famous across England.
- Elizabeth Condell: Savvy and fun, Elizabeth is Condell’s wife.
- Alice Heminges: 35; John’s daughter and alewife, knows everyone, and hangs with the boys.
- Rebecca Heminges: John’s wife, Rebecca is strong, busy with their grocery business, and a woman who has weathered much but loves her husband, her sons, and God. She is a good wife.
- Ben Jonson: Poet laureate of England and friend/rival of Shakespeare, Ben is an amazing drunk, a bear of a man, and surprisingly weepy.
- Ed Knight: “Stage manager” for the King’s Men, Ed is self-serious and particular.
- Ralph Crane: Humble scrivener of the King’s Men, Ralph is quick, sure, and quiet.
- William Jaggard: Successful if shady publisher of books, plays, and playbills, William is confident in his ability to get what he wants. He is very experienced, very connected, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, but an ass.
- Isaac Jaggard: William’s son, Isaac will inherit the business. He is sensitive, an artist at heart.
- Marcus: 20; Printer’s apprentice at the Jaggard print shop, Marcus is nosy but honest.
- Compositor: Works for Jaggard, young.
- Emilia Bassano Lanier: 50; A fiery Italian feminist and poet, an independent woman, and a lover of life (and of Shakespeare).
- Sir Edward Dering: 60; A book and theatre lover.
- Anne Hathaway Shakespeare: 60; Shakespeare’s now ailing wife, Anne is strong-willed, a classy lady, a survivor.
- Susannah Shakespeare: 30; A good girl and daughter of Shakespeare.
- Boy Hamlet: A young actor.
- Two Barmen: Drunk ruffians.
- Crier: A newsboy.
- Bernardo, Francisco, Horatio, Marcellus: Actors playing these roles
- Fruit Seller
- November 2 – 19, 2023
- November 2 – 7:30PM
- November 3 – 7:30PM
- November 4 – 7:30PM
- November 5 – 2:00PM
- November 9 – 7:30PM
- November 10 – 7:30PM
- November 11 – 2:00PM
- November 11 – 7:30PM
- November 12 – 2:00PM
- November 16 – 7:30PM
- November 17 – 7:30PM
- November 18 – 7:30PM
- November 19 – 2:00PM