The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
- TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
- TCT On Tour
- TCT Academy
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart.
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high-quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
The Properties Master will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. The Properties Master will be directly responsible for researching, designing, developing, and otherwise obtaining all props and rehearsal props as well as scenic dressings for TCT MainStage, Academy, and TCT on Tour divisions in collaboration with directors and stage managers of the productions, and the designated scenic designer of each show. The Properties Master is also responsible for maintaining and organizing future additions to our property stock, and for any prop needs associated with promotional appearances or photo shoots.
The Properties Master will report to the Production Director.
Much of the properties or rehearsal props required for TCT productions can be pulled from our stock, located in the TCT scenic shop facility in St. Bernard. The ideal candidate will have experience creatively blending existing stock with their own design, building props from scratch, and purchasing creative solutions to satisfy the director’s vision.
Responsibilities and Ideal Qualifications:
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati Properties Master’s duties include the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Generating a Script and Scenic Design-Based “Raw Properties” list for each production at least 1 month prior to the start of rehearsals. After submitting to the Production Director and Resident Stage Manager for review, the stage director for each production will amend the list, based on their vision, and will return the list to the Properties Master within one week. The Properties Master and the Resident Stage Manager will schedule a final props list meeting to establish the official props list for each production.
- Creating or otherwise obtaining props and rehearsal props for all MainStage, Academy, and Touring Productions.
- Creative shopping for necessary materials
- Working with power tools
- Altering existing props to fit the director’s vision
- Transporting props to and from the shop or renting company, rehearsal studio, and performance location.
- Repairing damaged props as necessary
- Tracking a materials budget and promptly turning in receipts
- Creating a master prop matrix for each show with Stage Management Team
- Reading and responding to rehearsal reports in a timely manner
- Ability to produce within a given deadline and in adherence with the production schedule
- Building relationships with other arts organizations, share prop stock
- Working knowledge of electrics and implementing electronic functions
- A background in carpentry, woodworking, and welding(MIG)
- Artistic painting experience
- Sewing, hemming, and upholstery skills
- Great sense of humor and a passion for the mission of TCT
Systems and Operations:
The TCT Properties Master will have access to tools, stock, and facility use in our Scenic Shop, located in St Bernard, as well as space in our facility on Red Bank Road.
The TCT Properties Master will have access to a tax-exempt form and a company credit card for purchases.
The TCT Properties Master will have access to use a TCT van, to transport items to and from the performance venue. The Properties Master may schedule the van with the Technical Director. If the van is unavailable, the Properties Master may need to use their own mode of transportation. Per TCT policy, a $.40 per mile reimbursement will be in effect between a TCT location and a third-party location, or the Employee may elect to take the deduction on their taxes.
TCT locations include: our headquarters on Red Bank Road, our scene shop in St. Bernard, and Downtown at the Taft Theatre.
Third party locations include: retail locations, rental pick-up locations, or donation pick-up locations.
TCT does not reimburse for miles to or from the contractor’s home and any location, or between two TCT locations. The contractor must keep a detailed log of mileage.
Timeline and Commitment
The TCT Properties Master will ideally begin between January 2, 2022 or earlier if applicable.
The Property Master will be included in all production meetings prior to and during the rehearsal process, technical and dress rehearsals as assigned, and to meet the following deadlines for completed show designs: Rehearsal props should be present by first blocking rehearsal and final performance props are due by load-in or first dress.
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications: Education Level – Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent work experience.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary range: $35,000-$40,000
- Health, vision, and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period.
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO accrual based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
- Flexible schedule opportunities.
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by Wednesday, October 15, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject Line: PROPERTIES MASTER 2021
Here’s a link to the posting online: