This stage classic is full of colorful character roles for actors of every age.
Auditions are Monday and Tuesday, January 20-21 beginning at 7 PM both nights.
Dayton Playhouse – 1301 E Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton, Ohio 45414
- Auditions will consist of readings from the script.
- No prepared monologues are required.
- Resumes and headshots are also not required, but are appreciated particularly for actors new to Dayton Playhouse.
Performances are March 6-15.
All roles are available and open to any ethnicity.
Director Jennifer Lockwood is looking for actors to fill the following roles:
- Sheridan Whiteside, 50+ – beloved by radio audiences across the country and tolerated by those who really know him. Friend of the important and famous around the world. Self-centered in the extreme.
- Maggie Cutler, late 20’s+ – his devoted assistant. She is used to his bluster but is blindsided to find herself on the receiving end of his shenanigans.
- Bert Jefferson, 30s – local reporter trying to interview Whiteside. He falls hard for Maggie.
- Mr. & Mrs. Stanley, 50s- small town well-to-do owners of the house, initially awestruck but quickly fed up with the constant inconvenience
- Richard, 20s – their son, ready for a bigger life than their small town can offer
- June, 18-22 – their daughter, also ready to rebel by marrying a union man
- Harriet Stanley, 50+ – sister to Mr. Stanley, she seems not quite of this world
- John and Sarah – live in servants at the Stanley house who Whiteside commandeers as his personal cook and butler
- Miss Preen – nurse hired to tend to Whiteside, initially terrified of him, she eventually finds her voice
- Dr. Bradley – small town doctor and a secret novelist
- Professor Metz – famous European scientist friend of Whiteside
- Lorraine Sheldon, 25-35, Broadway starlet who sees all men as fair game
- Beverly Carlton, 40+ – English actor and writer a la Noel Coward
- Banjo – comedian with no boundaries a la Groucho Marx (with a touch of Harpo’s physical comedy)
- There are several other characters that will be likely be double-cast: neighbors, convicts, police, delivery men, etc.