Dates & Info
- Director: Charity Farrell
- Choreographer: Katelyn Parish
- Music Director: Gillian Berkowitz
- Audition due date: July 30th, 2020 @ 8pm EST
- Invited Callback due date: August 2nd, 2020 @ 8pm EST
- 1st Rehearsal: Saturday, August 8th @ 7p EST
- Filming Day: Saturday, September 5th @ 10a EST
- Performance: September 18, 19 & 20 @ 7p EST
Casting “Heathers,” a stage musical. The darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid JD. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized butt… but J.D. has another plan for that bullet. All roles performed remotely with performances to stream on virtualvenuetheatricals.com.
How to Audition
32 bar Contemporary MT song
• singing from the show is encouraged
Record Video Horizontally
• neutral background
• full name_song title_role desired
• full name_resume, full name_headshot
Due date July 30, 2020 @ 8pm
Submit video, headshot, resume & contact information to virtualvenuetheatricals.com/heathersaudition
JD (Lead): Male, 18+ He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable, wide emotional range.
Heather McNamara (Supporting): Female, 18+ Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Strong belt to Db, D preferred. Soprano for chorus. Note: In certain choral songs Heather Mac and Duke can switch vocal parts as needed.
Heather Duke (Supporting): Female, 18+ (possible replacements) Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee, she wields power like a bulldozer. Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus. Note: In certain choral songs Heather Duke and Mac can switch vocal parts as needed.
Martha Dunstock (Supporting): Female, 18+ (possible replacements) Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
Ram Sweeney (Supporting): Male, 18+ Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
Kurt Kelly (Supporting): Male, 18+ Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. Mean, thinks he’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto. Note: In certain songs Ram and Kurt can switch choral assignment if, say, Ram sings higher than Kurt.
Ram’s Dad/Big Bud Dean/Coach Ripper (Supporting): Male, 40-45
Ram’s Dad – former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes.
Big Bud Dean – JD’s single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber.
Coach Ripper – Stalwart, man’s man; quick to defend his players. Baritone/tenor – power country/gospel belt to Ab, higher welcome. Note: Depending on the auditions, it is possible these characters may be played by a combination of actors cast in other roles.
Ms. Fleming/Veronica’s Mom (Supporting): Female, 45-50 (possible replacements)
Ms. Fleming – aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth.
Veronica’s Mom – easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Great belt up to C, higher always welcome. Note: Depending on the auditions, it is possible these characters may be played by a combination of actors cast in other roles.
- Boy 1 (Background / Extra): Male, 16-18 A put-upon, bitter geek. Bari (up to F#) or tenor (up to A).
- Boy 2 (Background / Extra): Male, 18+ A blow-dried 80’s preppy. Bass (up to E) or bari (up to G#).
- Boy 3 (Background / Extra): Male, 18+ Thinks he’s Ducky from “Pretty in Pink.” Bari (up to F#) or tenor (up to A).
- Girl 1 (Background / Extra): Female, 18+ A sullen goth girl. Belt to at least C# (a soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- Girl 2 (Supporting): Female, 18+ A fuzzy-headed stoner chick. Belt to at least C# (a soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- Girl 3: Female, 18+ A tennis-playing, uptight student council type. Belt to at least C# (soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).