Featuring iconic musical numbers like “Luck be a Lady” and “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat,” this lavish production marks the 50th anniversary of CCM Musical Theatre.
CINCINNATI, OH — UC’s College-Conservatory of Music celebrates the 50th anniversary of its Musical Theatre program with a cherished musical comedy from Broadway’s golden age, Guys and Dolls. Named one of Cincinnati CityBeat’s “most eagerly anticipated fall productions” and listed in Cincinnati’s Magazine’s “10 can’t-miss performances,” Guys and Dolls opens at 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19, 2018 in CCM’s Corbett Auditorium.
The musical tells the story of Nathan Detroit, a gambler trying to find the cash to set up the biggest craps game in town while eluding the authorities. Detroit turns to fellow gambler Sky Masterson for the dough, who ends up chasing straight-laced missionary Sister Sarah Brown as a result.
Featuring iconic musical numbers like “Luck Be a Lady,” “A Bushel and a Peck,” “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat” and more, this Tony Award-winning show takes audiences from the heart of Times Square to the cafés of Havana in a tale of saints and sinners and the lengths they will go for love.
Directed and choreographed by Professor Diane Lala, with musical direction by Professor Roger Grodsky, Guys and Dolls showcases the unbelievable on-stage talent of CCM’s musical theatre majors with live accompaniment by CCM’s world-class student orchestra.
CCM’s production also features a special appearance from dramatic performance alumnus Dain Alan Paige (BFA, 1992) as Arvide Abernathy. Paige has appeared in several productions at the Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati including Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. Most recently, Paige was on stage as Willy Wonka in Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka at the Carnegie Theatre in Covington, Kentucky.
“CCM established the first BFA musical theatre program in the country, and we are rated as one of the top musical theatre programs in the country,” Lala says. “Celebrate our golden anniversary with us as we present this award-winning classic musical.”
CCM Musical Theatre 50th Anniversary gala: Arts lovers are invited to get “all dolled up” for a special performance of Guys and Dolls followed by the one-night-only Saints and Sinners Bash on Oct. 20, 2018. Read more about this special performance and gala after party in the Cincinnati Business Courier.
GUYS AND DOLLS A Musical Fable of Broadway Based on a Story and Characters by Damon Runyon Music and Lyrics by Frank Loesser Book by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows
- Diane Lala, director and choreographer
- Roger Grodsky, musical director
- Thomas C. Umfrid, scenic designer
- Nicholas Smith*, lighting designer
- Jason Sebastian, sound designer
- Reba Senske, costume designer
- Meredith Keister*, wig and make-up designer
- Caroline Castleman*, production stage manager
- k. Jenny Jones, fight coordinator
- D’Arcy Smith and Kate Webster, dialect coaches
* CCM Student
- Nick Berninger as Nicley-Nicely Johnson
- Sam Pickart as Benny Southstreet
- Hank Von Kolnitz as Rusty Charlie
- Aria Braswell as Sarah Brown
- Dain Alan Paige+ as Arvide Abernathy
- Michael Canu as Harry the Horse
- Stone Mountain as Lt. Brannigan
- Kevin Chlapecka^/Matt Copley* as Nathan Detroit
- Andrew Alstat as Angie the Ox
- Kendall McCarthy^/Anya Axel* as Miss Adelaide
- Frankie Thams as Sky Masterson
- Eli Mayer as Joey Baltimore
- Dylan Dougal as Hot Box MC
- Bryn Purvis as Mimi
- Elle Zambarano as General Matilda B. Cartwright
- Elijah King as Big Jule
- Sofie Flores as Agatha
- Cole Harksen as Calvin
- Britta Rae as Martha
- Hot Box Girls: Bailee Endebrock, Jamie Goodson, Zoe Grolnick, Bryn Purvis
- Sewer Boys: Leo Carmody, Christian Feliciano, Kai Horvit, Christian Kidd, Drew Minard, Eli Owens, Aaron Richert, Sammy Schechter
- Ensemble: Andrew Alstat, Kurtis Brown, Michael Canu, Dylan DougaL, Sofie Flores, Haley Holcomb, Chip Hawver, Jack Johnson, Joshua Johnson, Eli Mayer, Jordan Miller, Britta Rae, Mikayla Renfrow, Erich W. Schleck, Veronica Stern, Quinn Surdez, Hank Von Kolnitz, Ethan Zeph
- Dance Captain Bryn Purvis
- Nicely-Nicely Johnson – Erich W. Schleck
- Benny Southstreet – Andrew Alstat
- Sarah Brown – Mikayla Renfrow
- Sky Masterson – Ethan Zeph
- Swings – Anna Chase Lanier, Brandon Schumacker
* Friday, Oct. 19; Sunday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m.; Friday, Oct. 26; Saturday, Oct. 27 at 8 p.m.
^ Satuday, Oct. 20; Sunday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 27 at 2 p.m.
+ Denotes CCM alumnus
- 8 p.m. Friday, October 19
- 7 p.m. Saturday, October 20 (CCMpower gala event; special pricing applies)
- 1 p.m. Sunday, October 21
- 7 p.m. Sunday, October 21
- 8 p.m. Friday, October 26
- 2 p.m. Saturday, October 27
- 8 p.m. Saturday, October 27
Corbett Auditorium, CCM Village University of Cincinnati
Ticket prices start at $32. Discounts are available for UC and non-UC students. Service changes may apply for online orders.
Student rush tickets will be available one hour before each performance to non-UC students, based on availability. UC students can receive one free student rush ticket with a valid Bearcat ID, based on availability.
Parking and Directions Parking is available in the CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the UC campus. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors. Additional parking is available off-campus at the U Square complex on Calhoun Street and other neighboring lots.
For directions to CCM Village, visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions.
Mainstage Production Sponsor: Macy’s
GUYS AND DOLLS is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI, 421 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019 Tel: 212-541-4684 Fax: 212-397-4684 www.MTIShows.com
A preeminent institution for the performing and media arts, the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) is the largest single source of performing arts presentations in the state of Ohio. All event dates and programs are subject to change. For a complete calendar of events, please visit us online at http://ccm.uc.edu.
# # #